Safe Environment: Diocesan Policies for All Parish Volunteers
Thank you for your interest in St. Matthew’s ministries. We are happy to have you become an active volunteer of our faith community! St. Matthew is committed to providing a safe environment for all members of our faith community, especially children and vulnerable adults. In accordance with the Diocese of Charlotte requirements, all parish volunteers must complete the following four forms before they can participate in parish ministry.
- Release and Authorization Form authorizes the parish to request a background check. The form is submitted to the Diocese of Charlotte by the parish for processing.
- Volunteer Profile asks for standard personal information.
- Acknowledgement of Receipt Form for Sexual Misconduct Policy, which is the last page of the policy and must be signed and dated.
- Acknowledgement of Receipt Form for Code of Ethics Policy of the Diocese of Charlotte, which is the last page of the policy and must be signed and dated.
Forms may be obtained at the reception desk during normal office hours. You can access the forms by clicking the links above. They are also available at the bottom of the home page under “Safe Environment”. Completed and signed forms should be returned to the Church Office in a sealed envelope to the attention of Lisa Hornung. These can be dropped off at the reception desk or mailed to: St. Matthew Catholic Church, PO Box 49349, Charlotte, NC 28277.
As part of our regular practice at St. Matthew, we audit the Safe Environment compliance files regularly. Active volunteers must have background checks renewed every five years and may be randomly renewed more often. You will be contacted by the parish office if a renewal is required. This is done in compliance with Msgr. McSweeney's and the USCCB's requirements.
Additionally, volunteers must attend a Protecting God’s Children workshop. This 2½ hour program is intended to educate volunteers to recognize and prevent sexual abuse. Pre-registration is required for the workshop. You can do this online at www.virtus.org. After the workshop, you will be asked to keep your training updated through online monthly bulletins. The monthly training requires approximately 15 minutes. There is an additional yearly recertification. You will be notified by Virtus, through email, of the bulletins and the recertification.
- Please check the parish bulletin and website for upcoming dates of “Protecting God’s Children” at St. Matthew.
- If you do not have access to the internet or are unable to work online, please contact Lisa Hornung, Safe Environment Coordinator, at 704-543-7677 x 1016.
- Please visit the diocesan website at www.charlottediocese.org for additional information about the Protecting God’s Children program.
Again, thank you for your interest in St. Matthew’s ministries and for helping to ensure that our parish is a safe environment for the children and vulnerable adults of our faith community.