- Lectio Prayer
Six weeks class during Lent
Jane Brock, M.Div.
Come celebrate the Season of Lent through prayer.
Register for one of the three sessions offered.
Monday, March 4 to April 8; 9:45 to 11:30 am; NLC 132/125
Tuesday, March 5 to April 9; 7 to 8:30 pm; NLC 132/125
Friday, March 8 to April 12; 10 to 11:30 am WAXHAW
Through prayer is one of the essentials of a thriving faith, we often feel as if we’re talking to ourselves – or, worse, as if we’re talking to no one at all. How can something so vital to the Faith be so elusive? Now, with the clear teaching and artistry of the Augustine Institute’s Lectio series, Dr. Tim Gray masterfully uses the discipline of Lectio Divina to show you how to make prayer an effective effort of love and intimacy. In six video session, Prayer: Finding Intimacy with God captures the secret to opening our hearts and minds to Scripture as the means to hear from God and then respond in conversation, basking in His presence and resolving to live in and through His love.
- Pursue graduate-level study in theology right here at St. Matthew, starting Fall 2019!
Click HERE for more information
Vacation Bible School 2019 – June 24-28, 9 am to 12 noon
Join us for our Safari Adventure “Roar!” Volunteers are needed to bring our adventure to life – rising 6th grade to adult – and elementary aged participants are needed to give our adventure it’s life!
Ready for the fun? More information and registration can be found at VBS 2019!
All high school teens are invited to go bowling! Friends are welcome!
When: Sunday, February 17, 2019
Where: Sports Connection, 11611 Ardrey Kell Rd, Charlotte, NC 28277
Cost: $15 (Includes FUN, bowling, shoes, and pizza)
Click here to register!
Journey of Faith Scholarship Jeremiah 29:11
- Open to adults who are:
- active St. Matthew parishioners and
- pursuing a graduate degree in teaching, youth ministry, health care, military, religious vocations or social work.
- One $5,000 scholarship will be awarded.
High School Scholarship:
- Open to high school seniors who are:
- active St. Matthew parishioners,
- serving as Faith Formation catechists or active in parish youth ministry programming and
- pursuing a degree in teaching, youth ministry, health care, military, religious vocations or social work.
- Three $5,000 scholarships will be awarded.
Deadline to apply is March 31.
Xtreme Edge is going ice skating! All 6th, 7th, 8th graders: Join us on Friday, Feb. 15th from 7:00-9:00pm at Extreme Ice Center. Pick up and drop off will occur at the rink located at 4705 Indian Trail-Fairview Road, Indian Trail, NC 28079.
Parents need to check in and sign out their teen at arrival and before leaving.
Cost is $15.00 which includes skate rentals, pizza, and soda. Please plan on bringing cash or check beforehand if possible.
Friends are always welcome to come, so dress warm, bring some friends, and get ready to skate!
Please RSVP by Wednesday, Feb. 13th!
Click here to register!
Sunday, March 3, 1 to 2:30 pm
Parish Center Gym
We welcome St. Matthew families with children of all ages to donate items and assemble Blessings Bags for our homeless neighbors in Charlotte. Adult and teen volunteers are needed for setup and cleanup.
- Quart size zip-lock bags (one box)
- Individually packaged snack items (granola bars, fruit cups, sandwich crackers, raisins or other healthy snacks) – larger sized items from wholesale stores are welcome.
We hope to see your family there!
We have received notification from the Office of the Bishop that St. Matthew will celebrate the Sacrament of Confirmation on May 20, 21 and 22. The celebration of each Mass will begin at 6 pm.
Please bear in mind that a youth will be eligible to receive the sacrament once all preparation is complete:
- Participation in 7th and 8th grade Faith Formation or Catholic School – with satisfactory attendance; if attending Catholic school, participation in parish proximate preparation is also required.
- Participation in the Ignite Conference (Confirmation Retreat) – if you have not registered yet, please do so by selecting this link now! There is not a fee for this event, the parish is covering the bulk of the cost. If your teen is unable to attend this conference, you must contact Adrian Quintero immediately so alternative opportunities can be discussed.
In addition, the following steps must be completed by March 31:
- BAPTISMAL CERTIFICATE: You will need to provide a baptismal certificate for your teen if they weren’t baptized or received their First Holy Communion at St. Matthew. You may bring a copy to the office during office hours Monday-Friday 9am-4:30pm; Sunday 8:30am-12:30pm.
- SPONSOR INFORMATION: Students must select a Sponsor and have the Sponsor complete the SPONSOR ELIGIBILITY FORM and SPONSOR AGREEMENT FORM. Please note that the ELIGIBILITY FORM requires the signature of the pastor of the Sponsor’s parish. If the sponsor is a parishioner of St. Matthew, then you can submit the form to the parish and we will verify. Keep in mind that a sponsor must be a practicing Catholic, fully initiated in the Catholic Church, 16 years of age or older, and may not be the teen’s parent. This should be someone that can guide their teen during this important sacrament preparation, and throughout their life and faith journey.
- CONFIRMATION NAME: Students must select a Confirmation/Saint Name and submit an essay about their Saint to their catechist/small group leader or email to Donna DeCarlo at firstname.lastname@example.org. The criteria for the essay can be found on our website. We challenge teens to pick a saint that they connect with—the more they take the time to research a saint and pick someone who makes an impact on them, the better. The chosen saint will be their confirmation name which is entered into the Church records and will be the name the bishop will use when anointing a teen at Confirmation.
- SERVICE PROJECTS: We are requiring 3 service projects for all teens. 2 of the projects can be completed by the teen on their own but one of the service projects needs to be completed as a small group. The catechist will assist with organizing an opportunity with their small group. The small group can decide together on what they would like to do. You can find ideas for service projects and the form that needs to be filled out on our website.
- PRAYER: Continue to pray for your teen and all teens that will receive the sacraments!
Middle school youth are invited to bake treats for the Missionaries of the Poor. Bible & Baking is offered on the third Thursday of each month from September to May. While the treats are cooking, we will take some time to explore some Bible stories! Meet in the Family Room in the Parish Center.
Winter/Spring 2019 dates: January 17, February 21, March 21, April – TBD, May 16
Join us from 7:00-8:15pm in the Parish Center. Friends are welcome to come!
At least 2 Adults or High School Volunteers are needed to help facilitate and are asked to arrive 15 minutes early!
Click here to register on our Signup Genius page.
For any questions, please email Lauren Piercefield.
Full-time Youth Minister
St. Matthew Catholic Church is seeking a full-time youth minister. This person will work enthusiastically and creatively to develop relationships with the middle and high school community of youth and their parents, leading them into a deeper life of the Church and discipleship through events and programs during the year. Reports to the Director of Youth Ministry and works with the youth ministry team in program development and implementation as well as coordinating the programming to prepare teens for the sacrament of confirmation and life as disciples of Christ. Click here for a more detailed job description. If you are interested, please send a cover letter and resume to Adrian Quintero. If would like additional information, please email Adrian Quintero.