We have received notification from the Office of the Bishop that St. Matthew will celebrate the Sacrament of Confirmation on May 20, 21 and 22. The celebration of each Mass will begin at 6 pm.
Please bear in mind that a youth will be eligible to receive the sacrament once all preparation is complete:
- Participation in 7th and 8th grade Faith Formation or Catholic School – with satisfactory attendance; if attending Catholic school, participation in parish proximate preparation is also required.
- Participation in the Ignite Conference (Confirmation Retreat) – if you have not registered yet, please do so by selecting this link now! There is not a fee for this event, the parish is covering the bulk of the cost. If your teen is unable to attend this conference, you must contact Adrian Quintero immediately so alternative opportunities can be discussed.
In addition, the following steps must be completed by March 31:
- BAPTISMAL CERTIFICATE: You will need to provide a baptismal certificate for your teen if they weren’t baptized or received their First Holy Communion at St. Matthew. You may bring a copy to the office during office hours Monday-Friday 9am-4:30pm; Sunday 8:30am-12:30pm.
- SPONSOR INFORMATION: Students must select a Sponsor and have the Sponsor complete the SPONSOR ELIGIBILITY FORM and SPONSOR AGREEMENT FORM. Please note that the ELIGIBILITY FORM requires the signature of the pastor of the Sponsor’s parish. If the sponsor is a parishioner of St. Matthew, then you can submit the form to the parish and we will verify. Keep in mind that a sponsor must be a practicing Catholic, fully initiated in the Catholic Church, 16 years of age or older, and may not be the teen’s parent. This should be someone that can guide their teen during this important sacrament preparation, and throughout their life and faith journey.
- CONFIRMATION NAME: Students must select a Confirmation/Saint Name and submit an essay about their Saint to their catechist/small group leader or email to Donna DeCarlo at email@example.com. The criteria for the essay can be found on our website. We challenge teens to pick a saint that they connect with—the more they take the time to research a saint and pick someone who makes an impact on them, the better. The chosen saint will be their confirmation name which is entered into the Church records and will be the name the bishop will use when anointing a teen at Confirmation.
- SERVICE PROJECTS: We are requiring 3 service projects for all teens. 2 of the projects can be completed by the teen on their own but one of the service projects needs to be completed as a small group. The catechist will assist with organizing an opportunity with their small group. The small group can decide together on what they would like to do. You can find ideas for service projects and the form that needs to be filled out on our website.
- PRAYER: Continue to pray for your teen and all teens that will receive the sacraments!