This ministry consists of sign language interpreters who are committed to render faithfully the message of the Liturgy and members who are dedicated to providing equal access to the Deaf and hard of hearing that all may be one in Christ. We focus on respecting the lives and communication of our parishioners to assure they are welcomed into all aspects of our faith.
- Provide interpreters for Sunday 9 am Mass, Christmas Midnight Mass, 7:30 pm Mass on holy days of obligation and, as requested, for special sacraments, such as for a deaf relative of a first communicant.
- Greet and educate any Deaf and H/H (Hard of Hearing) people about the Deaf Ministry and church activities.
- Plan and host social activities (such as Lenten group) and workshop(s) for Deaf and H/H throughout the diocese.
- Interpret the Eucharistic Congress. Plan a time for the Deaf Ministries to socialize during the Congress.
- Recruit Deaf and H/H people to the church, and friends and relatives to the Deaf Ministry.
- Educate parishioners about Deaf and H/H people, their language and their culture.
Sign language interpreting skill is required of the interpreters within the ministry. For parishioners, friends, and relatives who wish to be a part of the ministry, no skills are required except the desire to include all Deaf and H/H parishioners into all activities within the church and all aspects of our faith.
To volunteer or ask a question, please contact JoAnn VanCamp.
New to volunteering at St. Matthew? Please read our Safe Environment Policy.