St. Matthew COVID-19 Procedures Update Effective Saturday, March 6, 2021
As COVID-19 metrics continue to improve, the St. Matthew COVID-19 Task Force has approved the following expansion for seating and reception of Holy Communion during the celebration of Holy Mass:
- Seating is permitted in every pew with social distancing of six feet between families.
- Seating from pew to pew should follow a “checkerboard” pattern.
- Masks covering the nose and mouth will continue to be worn for the duration of the entire Mass. Entry into the narthex and church is prohibited without a mask. Disposable masks are provided by St. Matthew for anyone in need.
- Individuals wishing to receive Holy Communion on the tongue are asked to join one of the Communion lines at the front of the church. Those seated in the rear sections of the church are asked to inform the usher of their intent to receive on the tongue when asked to join the Communion line.
- The four Holy Communion stations located in the middle of the church are limited to the reception of the Eucharist in the hand only. Priests, deacons and extraordinary ministers will distribute with no hand-to-hand contact. In the event of hand-to-hand contact, purification and sanitation will occur immediately.
Change to Weekday Outdoor Holy Communion Schedule
With the increase in weekday and weekend Mass attendance and a decrease in weekday Holy Communion service attendance, we are amending our current weekday outdoor schedule to Wednesday only, immediately following the 8:15 am Mass until 10 am. Confessions are also available during this hour.
Change to the Reception of Holy Communion During Outdoor Holy Communion Services
Priests, deacons and extraordinary ministers will distribute Holy Communion. If the communicant has received on the tongue, the priest, deacon or extraordinary minister will purify and sanitize immediately after the reception of the Eucharist. If receiving in the hand, purification and sanitation will only occur if there is hand-to-hand contact and upon completion of the service.