The sacraments of initiation (baptism, Holy Eucharist and confirmation) are gifts to us, instituted by Christ and entrusted to the Church. It is our privilege to support parents as they prepare their children for these grace-filled gifts.
Adults who are seeking the sacraments of initiation or inquiring about marriage, please contact Rachel Willoughby
Questions not addressed below? Please contact Diane Kiradjieff.
Information about preparation can be found in the drop-down menu below. If your child is already registered and you are looking for information specific to this year, use the button links!
Baptism: Welcome to the Family!
For Catholics, the Sacrament of Baptism is the first step in a lifelong journey of commitment and discipleship. Whether we are baptized as infants or adults, baptism is the Church’s way of celebrating and enacting the embrace of God. Parents must take part in a baptism preparation class prior to scheduling the sacrament.
If the child to be baptized is under the age of five, please complete this FORM and you will be contacted.
If your child is entering kindergarten or older, or has been baptized but not in the Catholic Church, please contact Diane Kiradjieff to learn more.
Preparation for Children and Teens: Reconciliation and First Holy Eucharist
In the Diocese of Charlotte, at least one full year of formal religious education (Catholic school or Faith Formation) is necessary prior to receiving the sacrament of first reconciliation, and at least two full consecutive years of formal religious education are necessary prior to receiving the sacrament of first holy Eucharist. Children may receive the sacrament of first Eucharist in the spring of second grade or older.
- My child is entering first grade in September 2021: You will register your child for Faith Formation in our YEAR 1 program, where they discover God’s might love for them while learning about our Church Family, what Catholics believe, and how we worship, live and pray.
- My child is entering second grade in September 2021: If your child completed our Year 1 program or another Catholic first grade program through a parish or Catholic school, you will register them in our YEAR 2 program, where they will prepare for the sacraments and encounter Jesus’ tremendous love for each of them. If your child did not complete a Catholic first grade program in 2020-2021, you will register them for our YEAR 1 program.
- My child is entering third grade or older in September 2021 (up to age 18): Your child will be a candidate for one of our Rite of Christian Initiation programs designed for either elementary, middle or high school youth.
For more specific information or to register your child for preparation, please contact Lori Mathews (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Preparation for Teens: Confirmation
In the Diocese of Charlotte, at least two full years of formal remote preparation (Catholic school or Faith Formation) is necessary prior to receiving the sacrament of confirmation, and a period of proximate preparation which must take place in the parish during the year the sacrament is received.
- REGISTERING FOR THE PROGRAM
- My child is entering seventh grade in September 2021: You will register your child for Faith Formation in our 7th Grade program for the first year of remote preparation.
- My child is entering eighth grade in September 2021: You will register your child for Faith Formation in our 8th Grade program, and depending upon whether your child completed our 7th grade or another Catholic 7th grade program through a parish or Catholic school, we will place them in either the first or second year of remote preparation.
- My child is entering ninth grade or older in September 2021 (up to age 18): Your high schooler’s grade and history of preparation will determine their next steps, our office will work with you to determine the correct placement.
For specific information or to register your teen for preparation, please contact Avery Utz (email@example.com).