What is Confirmation?
Baptism, the Eucharist, and the sacrament of Confirmation together constitute ‘the sacraments of Christian initiation,’ whose unity must be safeguarded. Confirmation is necessary for the completion of baptismal grace. By the sacrament of Confirmation the baptized are more perfectly bound to the Church and are enriched with a special strength of the Holy Spirit.
Director of Faith Formation: Diane Kiradjieff, 704-543-7677 x1038
Sacramental Coordinator, Confirmation: Avery Utz 704-543-7677 x1092
Adults seeking confirmation should inquire about the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA) Program by calling Rachel Willoughby 704-543-7677 x1020
Due to restrictions in gathering, we ask all youth who are currently preparing for the sacrament to complete the online lessons below.
- If you are in Edge, then you will complete the Edge At Home lessons. Please visit: Edge At Home (Virtual Edge).
- If you are in RCIT, then you will complete the Virtual RCIT lessons. Please visit: Virtual RCIT.
Confirmation Paperwork to be Completed Prior to Reception of Sacrament
- Copy of Baptismal Certificate – You will upload a copy of the baptismal certificate, either PDF or .jpg file type. If the candidate was baptized or received First Holy Communion at St. Matthew, then we have record of baptism. (Due November 1, 2019)
- Sponsor Information and Guidelines – This is only information for the parent and candidate. The worksheet does not need to be turned in, it is only a tool to be used by the candidate to assist them in choosing an appropriate sponsor.
- Sponsor Agreement Form – Online – The sponsor will complete this online form. (Due January 15, 2020)
- Sponsor Eligibility Form – The sponsor will need to download this form and give to their parish (must be a registered parishioner) to have the Pastor or Parish Representative approve the individual to be a sponsor based on the requirements. (Due January 15, 2020)
- Confirmation Saint Essay – You will upload your Word Document or PDF file of your Saint Essay. (Due January 15, 2020)
- Service Project Report – Online – Candidates will complete the online form for each service project completed. (Due April 1, 2020)
- Service Project List – Ideas for service projects