St. Matthew > Topics > YDisciple Training Videos

Home Forums Discipleship Training YDisciple Training Videos

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Diocesan
    Keymaster

Please share your thoughts on the 4 part training series offered by YDisciple.

Diocesan
    Keymaster

And now logged-in users can respond!

melissamikulak
    Participant

Small groups are important because they are an extremely effective way to build community and encourage friendships that are united by Christ, and this I feel is the ultimate goal of a small group.

melissamikulak
    Participant

It is important for parents to be involved with lifeteen because, regardless of what we teach the children, a child is most likely to follow the example that is set of them by their family. I will think more on ways to encourage parents to participate.

Anonymous
    Inactive

What stood out to you most from the four videos?
    – To me the role that the parents play in a child’s growth stood out to me. I knew parents and family were important but I rather naively thought friends had a more significant influence.
    Why is discussion so important during small group time? What is the goal?
    – Discussion allows the teens to formulate their thoughts and learn from others. It also creates a safe community for them to be seen and heard and grow in their faith in Christ.
    How can we partner with parents and why should we partner with parents?
    – We can partner with parents by making sure they know what we will be discussing the in small groups and sharing with them the topics of discussion and questions. It is important to partner with parents because teens look at them as their ultimate example.

carmbrock
    Participant

How do we get ready for small groups before teens even arrive? I think brainstorming some things that may be in current culture that may impact teens at the moment and find a way to make this a teaching moment about our faith.

This is something I have been thinking a lot about in recent weeks. Watching how teens engage with social media and network today is very different. They are given so much information, but with little context. I think that we need to find ways to connect these ideas within our small group. Recently, for example, there was much in the news with regard to the U.S.military and the Iranian General that was killed. While they do not know what, when, where, or why of this topic, they are discussing it on Tiktok and other SM platform like crazy. Many are making jokes about it, but there are some deeper concerns lying beneath that may bubble up. For example, they are discussion WWIII and the potential of being drafted (including women) underneath the joking. While I don’t know that it’s my place to discuss this at length, it could be a concern to them.

Side Note: there is a new series on Neflix called “Messiah”. Not sure if they have watched it, but would love to know your thoughts on that.

Why is discussion so important during small group time?
    I think it is important because it will give them that sense of “belonging” the video addressed. WE don’t want to preach, so this is a way to just bring in what’s going on in the real world without making it too personal at first. Eventually, I would prefer that they lead with a topic from there and we could be in a position to just listen to them. Praying for all involved would be a great way to teach them what our role as Catholics is in all this. It doesn’t matter how much we understand, but we can love each other and ask for God’s help and guidance of the Holy Spirit as we navigate these complicated waters.

What is the goal?
    Ultimately, we are aiming to make disciples and hopefully, helping them develop a sense of community in our Church.

How can we partner with parents and why should we partner with parents?

carmbrock
    Participant

I was going to suggest it, but the video already did. Sharing the video and what topics were discussed after each session with parents is a great idea. It’s simple and doesn’t seem overwhelming. Something simple: Video on the power of prayer…we discussed the victims in recent attacks _____, we prayed for those _____ and asked the Holy Spirit to ________…etc.

carmbrock
    Participant

Here’s something I just though of with discussions I’ve had personally with my own children that I don’t have all the answers to. Around Halloween this may come up…ghosts. are they real? How do Catholics feel about communicating with the dead? Do we believe in these? What about the references in the bible and Mary having an angel appear to her? How is this different?

Teens are fascinated with the paranormal. But, we could use this as a way to discuss the Church’s teachings on this. And recently, I’ve learned Samuel 28. we are not to conjure the souls of the dead.

Just some random thoughts.

melissamikulak
    Participant

Another idea on preparing for small group: A class is starting up at the end of January called ‘Theology 101’ and it’s taking place on Tuesday evenings from 7PM – 8:30PM. Sarah and I have both signed up, and I think it could be an excellent way to learn more of the basics of our faith in order to be best prepared for the questions that the teens bring our way during small group. 🙂

If you’re interested, you can use the address below to register:

https://membership.faithdirect.net/events/details/3896

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.