Thank you for your interest in St. Matthew’s ministries. We are happy to have you become an active volunteer of our faith community! St. Matthew is committed to providing a safe environment for all members of our faith community, especially children and vulnerable adults. In accordance with the Diocese of Charlotte requirements, all parish volunteers must complete several compliance items, detailed below, before participating in parish ministry.
All volunteers must attend a Protecting God’s Children workshop. This 2½ hour program is intended to educate volunteers to recognize and prevent sexual abuse. Preregistration is required. You can sign up online at www.virtus.org. After completing the registration for a Virtus account, you will be asked to acknowledge receipt of other required notices and to choose a date to attend a workshop. You will then be prompted to enter the necessary information and sign off on a required background release form. After the workshop, you will be asked to keep your training updated through online monthly bulletins. The monthly training requires approximately fifteen (15) minutes. There is an additional yearly recertification. You will be notified by Virtus, through email, of the bulletins and the recertification. It is important that you select the appropriate diocesan location when you register. Please select St. Matthew Church.
Will you be driving for your ministry? The diocesan Properties and Risk Management Department requires all drivers to complete an Approved Driver Status form and await diocesan approval before driving on behalf of the parish. Please complete the form below and contact Lisa Hornug, the St. Matthew Safe Environment Coordinator, to complete this process.
The preferred method for filling out all required forms is online via the Virtus website, as described above. If you are unable to access the forms via Virtus, they are available for download at the links below.
- Release and Authorization Form authorizes the parish to request a background check. The form is submitted to the Diocese of Charlotte by the parish for processing.
- Volunteer Profile asks for standard personal information.
- Acknowledgement of Receipt Form which is the last page of the Sexual Misconduct Policy; this should be signed and dated.
- Acknowledgement of Receipt Form, which is the last page of the Code of Ethics Policy of the Diocese of Charlotte; this should be signed and dated.
- Request for Approved Driver Status (Form 9.A) is now required for any volunteer who drives a personal or parish vehicle on behalf of St. Matthew Catholic Church. Once approved as a driver, additional online training for defensive driving will be required.
As part of our regular practice at St. Matthew, we audit the Safe Environment compliance files regularly. Active volunteers must have background checks renewed every five years, and may be randomly renewed more often. You will be contacted by the parish office if a renewal is required. This is done in compliance with Father Pat’s and the USCCB’s requirements.
- Please check the parish bulletin and website for upcoming dates of Protecting God’s Children at St. Matthew.
- If you do not have access to the internet, or are unable to work online, please contact Lisa Hornung, Safe Environment Coordinator, at 704-543-7677 x 1016.
- Please visit the diocesan website, www.charlottediocese.org, for additional information about the Protecting God’s Children program.
Thank you for helping to ensure that our parish is a safe environment for the children and vulnerable adults of our faith community.
March 12, 2018